For anyone who has successfully lost weight, the quest for filling foods that don’t pack on the pounds can be a challenging one.
Soups are a great staple of any diet, and black beans have immeasurable health benefits. They’re chock-full of fiber, plant-based protein and antioxidants. They aid digestion and help regulate blood sugar. Your heart and liver are crazy about them.
The intense heat in this soup will clear your head and please your palate, and the lime squeeze kicks the flavor up a notch. Nutritionists find no fault with canned beans provided they don’t have added salt, flavorings or preservatives, so make it easy on yourself.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups chopped red onion
- 1 4-ounce can diced green chilies
- 1 tablespoon chopped jalapeno pepper, including seeds
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 15-ounce cans black beans with their broth
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 6 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, plus 2 tablespoons for finishing
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 lime wedges
- Crumbled goat cheese if desired
- [Note: If the heat seems too much, you may prepare the soup with mild green chilies and omit the jalapeno seeds.]
- Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy pot over medium-high heat.
- When it starts to shimmer, toss in the onion, green chilies and jalapeno.
- Saute for about 4 minutes and add the garlic.
- Brown for 1 minute more and stir in the cumin.
- Add the beans and chicken or vegetable broth and bring to a boil.
- After reducing the heat to medium-low, cover the soup and allow it to gently simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Carefully puree all but 1 cup of the soup in a blender, working in batches. Return the puree to the pot and stir in 6 tablespoons of the cilantro. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Ladle the soup into 4 bowls, garnish with the remaining cilantro and serve with a generous squeeze of lime. If you like, sprinkle each portion with 1 tablespoon of crumbled goat cheese. Salad and pita wedges are nice accompaniments.